woensdag 14 augustus 2013

List of Dystopian favorites 2013

I can't get enough of dystopian books; they are by far my favorite books to read. It's just because they  take place in a world so similar to ours. But that world is on the other hand so different that it makes you want to know more, learn more and drags you in wanting to be in that world. 

There are so many Dystopian books that I probably haven't even heard of the best, so I did some asking around and with the help of some of my fellow book lovers I made a list. This list contains my favorite Dystopian stories of 2013. This does not mean that they are published in 2013, it is more about me just finding out about them at this time.

The Hunger Games trilogy - Suzanne Collins
I'm not even going to write anything about these books. If you don't know them, PLEASE go sit in a corner and be ashamed. If you haven't read them, I can't say anything different than; read read read

Divergent trilogy - Veronica Roth
In the future, the citizens of Chicago live in a society that is divided into five factions, each one meant to uphold a particular virtue of humanity: Abnegation (the selfless), Amity (the peaceful), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave) and Erudite (the intelligent). On a given day each year, all sixteen-year-olds take an aptitude test that will tell them which faction they are best suited for, after which they must decide whether to remain with their family or transfer to a new faction.

No Shelter Trilogy - T.S. Welti
When the environment is ravaged by rising sea levels and monstrous storms, America is divided and survival becomes more precious than love.

When seventeen-year-old Nada and Isaac stumble upon a handsome stranger in the woods, their cozy alliance and romance begin to unravel. This stranger promises Nada the impossible in exchange for helping him rescue his sister from a prison in the last corner of civilization in the western United States. But this rescue operation is wrought with complications, including the fact that the girl they are supposed to save is the ex-President's daughter. This mission puts everyone's life at risk, especially Isaac--the one person who has always been there for Nada. Now Nada and her small tribe must choose between a somewhat comfortable existence in the mountains and the chance at a life free of fear and starvation.

The Breeders - Katie French
Sixteen-year-old Riley Meemick is one of the world's last free girls. When Riley was born, her mother escaped the Breeders, the group of doctors using cruel experiments to bolster the dwindling human race. Her parents do everything possible to keep her from their clutches-- moving from one desolate farm after another to escape the Breeders' long reach. The Breeders control everything- the local war lords, the remaining factories, and the fuel. They have unchecked power in this lawless society. And they're hunting Riley.

Penryn & the End of Days series - Susan Ee
It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Dust Lands series - Moira Young
Saba lives in Silverlake, a wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms where her family scavenges from landfills left by the long-gone Wrecker civilization. After four cloaked horsemen kidnap her beloved twin brother Lugh, she teams up with daredevil Jack and the Free Hawks, a girl gang of Revolutionaries. 

Saba learns that she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Saba and her new friends stage a showdown that changes the course of her civilization.



Razorland series - Ann Aguirre

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.


Partials Sequence - Dan Wells

The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Shatter Me series - Tahereh Mafi
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.or.

What do you say, quite an awesome list right? I still haven't read all of the books, I wish I did but this is not the case. It's just that I have school, work, reading and then my friends also expect me to have some kind of a social life. But they are all on my to-read list and they will (hopefully) be read by the end of 2013. The fact that this is a 'favourites' list means that I loved the synopsis so much that I just have to read them!

I know I'm still not aware off all the best dystopian books out there. Feel free to tell me about any you think I'd like. I'm always looking for ways to get my to-read list even longer than it already is right now. 

5 opmerkingen:

  1. These are great suggestions! I'm always looking for a great dystopian read. have you read White Horse by Alex Adams. It's a great story though it's stacked with a few too many metaphors and it's not exactly YA.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. White Horse looks really good I put it on my to-read list :) thank you!

      Verwijderen
  2. Great choices! I haven't read too many Dystopian books (there's just SO many out there to choose from) but two I have read and LOVED are: The 5th Wave and Article 5. Both books are part of trilogies and I can't wait to read their sequels - I've already read the second book in the Article 5 series and it was amazing.

    If you're in to Dystopia you should love them! The 5th Wave is really unique (alien invasion rather than a Dystopian society) and the writing is wonderful. And the Article 5 books have a great romance at the center that is really intense and drives the story :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. What a coincidence I just finished reading The 5th Wave last night! It's indeed more post apolyptic but I enjoyed it very-very much.

      Article 5 sounds good so I'll take a look at that one :) thank you for the advice!

      Verwijderen
  3. Ahhh yay I'm so happy you liked it! It was a lot different than I expected but I just thought it was awesome (and I LOVED Zombie).

    Let me know what you think of Article 5 if / when you do check it out. It's actually become one of my favourite series!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!