maandag 12 augustus 2013

Review: Glass Houses - Rachel Caine

Title: Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)
Author: Rachel Caine

Published: October 3rd 2006 by Signet
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon, Barnes & Noble


Summary from goodreads: It’s a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows—one that will spill out into the bright light of day.

Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school’s social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn’t have the right connections—to the undead who run the town.

When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don’t show many signs of life. But they’ll have Claire’s back when the town’s deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...


What I think: I have to say that I was a bit surprised by how much I liked this book. I read a few reviews and it seemed that everyone was super annoyed with Claire. I know that if I would have been in Claire's situation I would run and hide until the scare people would go away. But how boring would a book be if the main character would just hide all the time.

This is finally a book where vampires are really vampires and not sparkling vampyres (who calls vampires vampyres now a days?). Also a nice twist from the normal vampire books is that there is a bit of ghostyness mixed into all of this to give it an even more supernatural vibe.


Besides Claire there are 3 other characters that I enjoyed reading about or maybe even 4. The first three are Claire’s roommates. The two guys Shane and Michael (oh-my-gosh such drawl worthy guys) are the nicest guys ever and not to forget totally delicious. Eve is the other girl in the house and is a bit different, but also totally nice and caring. I have to say that without these three characters the book wouldn’t be as good as it is. They really make the story worth reading!


And then I also mentioned a fourth character. This is Monica, the main villain in the story. She is just so evil, and it’s not that often in these kinds of books that the villain is a girl. Not to forget that she is not even a vampire. You would guess that in a vampire book the villain is one, but no she is this (almost) normal college girl.


The story itself is interesting and has a huge cliffhanger in the end (I'm quite upset about not having the second book yet..). The book keeps you in suspense and I never had an –I told you so– moment, the story has a good flow and pulls you straight in.


All in all, a great book with maybe a bit of an annoying main character, but you get over it because the book wouldn’t have a story line without this girl! For all the Young Adult vampire lovers a great read, I recommend reading it. 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!