zondag 18 augustus 2013

Review: Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: November 23rd 2011, by Entangled Teen
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon, Barnes & Noble


Summary from goodreads: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.


What I think: Going into the story I knew many people really liked it, but this doesn't always mean that I will. But this book really is a one-read miracle. It's one of the best books I've read in 2013! 

Katy the main character is a heroin that many people can compare themselves to, I definitely did. Not just because she is a book reviewer (totally awesome!), but also because she is not the usual small-town-girl-that-finds-out-she-has-alien-neighbors. She is really strong, has her own opinion, is loyal to her friends and kicks some alien and human ass on several occasions as well.


Daemon and Dee Black are Katy's neighbors. Dee is a really nice girl and one of the best friends you could wish for. Unfortunately Daemon is exasperating, arrogant and honestly thinks he is the best thing that could happen to any girl. I have to say though; someone as devastatingly gorgeous and sexy as him can act anyway he likes; some girls just have a thing for bad boys, including me. Even though Daemons attitude is not everything the chemistry between Katy and him is beyond this world (get the joke, alien haha). You can just feel the electricity sparking off the pages. In the end it is just not possible to not fall in love with him.


The book of course is not just about those two, the Luxens are almost extinct and the fact that the Arum's (enemy of the Luxens) are scrawling earth and killing innocent humans and Luxens is not helping this. There is more than enough action in this book to keep you on the edge of your seat. Jennifer L. Armentrout has more than succeeded in creating an alien race that doesn't sound to dorky or unreal. You would almost believe the Luxens really could live next door. It isn't explained in that many words where they come from and why they got here but the information that you do get is more than enough. 

To me it's just a relief to finally find a book about aliens that doesn't immediately remind me of E.T.

This book leaves you with the biggest grin on your face. The snarky comments that are thrown to each other by Katy and Daemon are funny and make the book even more interesting to read. All in all this book is going into my 5 star category. I can't remember the last time I had a book hangover. Maybe you could say that I'm addicted to this series, at the moment I'm having some serious with drawl symptoms and I guess book two will be read in the next few days. The biggest mistake I've made this year is to not start reading this book earlier. 

I recommend this book to all YA readers but also to anyone else who loves some sci-fi!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!