donderdag 13 juni 2013

ARC Review: Invisible - Marni Bates

Title: Invisible
Author: Marni Bates
Publication date: August 1st 2013 by K-Teen
Add It: Goodreads

Purchase: AmazonBarnes and Noble


Summary from goodreads: Jane Smith has survived three years of high school without making a single enemy, all by keeping a low profile. Not even her three best friends, Kenzie, Corey and Isobel, can say the same. But with Corey dating the lead singer from ReadySet and Kenzie in a relationship too, being invisible tends to be lonely. But now she's written an article for her school newspaper that has accidentally snagged the attention of some celebrities. Turns out, people get really upset when their innermost secrets are splashed all over the front page. And new her well-ordered life is being blasted to hell, with results that are wildly unexpected.

What I think: This book started very unreal to me, who is able to become visible in only a few days after years of being a shadow. Jane definitely craved being visible, after being overshadowed by her 'famous' friends she sets herself a goal. Becoming visible and actually write something in the school newspaper instead of editing for others. 

It was hard getting into the main character 'Jane'. She annoyed me on more than one occasion with being bald, dramatic and overreacting on a lot of things. She is not just obsessing on her own life but also on that of everyone else.

Without even noticing it at first I got over my annoyance of Jane, and couldn't stop myself in wanting to finish this book. The main reason of not quitting was that I really wanted to find out what she was gonna write on the front page and how her love life would turn out. 

The other characters really made this book a fun read. I especially loved the mean girl in this story, Chelsea. Normally there is no debt in these kinds of characters and it was great to read here why the other characters were afraid of her. Scott was by far my favorite character; even though he is mentioned as one of the mean kids in the beginning I loved him anyways. He never really did anything wrong and as I said before Jane just totally overreacted on the situation in my opinion. Scott is a charismatic gentleman who isn't afraid to tell the truth. He is totally adorable and plays a big part in Jane's quest of becoming visible.

All in all, I guess this book needed a bit more depth. Yes, there was an intriguing story line otherwise I would never have finished. But maybe the case was that there was only one story and it was not that hard to foretell what was going to happen.

To end this review I would like to say that this book is worth a read. It’s fun and light and at some points quite entertaining. I will also be looking forward to Marni Bates next book 'Notable'. I'm curious if we are going to see more of the other characters in this book, and of course I want to know more about Chelsea’s view on life. 

With thanks to Netgalley for providing me with the ARC of this book.



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!