zaterdag 18 mei 2013

Review: Uglies - Scott Westerfeld


Title: Uglies (Uglies #1)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Published: February 8th 2005 by Simon Schusters Children's
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon Barnes and Noble

Rating: 3 stars

Summary from goodreads: Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.



What I think: After hearing and reading many excellent reviews about the series Uglies from Scott Westerfeld, I could not, not read it. The story line is about a time in the future -at first I did not even notice it was in the future-, in this new world you get a surgery when you turn 16 to become bewitchingly gorgeous. After surgery you move to this city with only beautiful -brainwashed- people who party all day and night. So yes, everyone couldn't wait to turn 16, our main character Tally also was a big fan of the surgery. But little does she know about this other world, where no one is beautiful and everyone is still ugly; the resistance.  

I did like the book, I didn't love it but it has a few good and bad parts. To me it wasn't a book that I had to read, I put it away a few times because I was getting bored with the story. It was all a bit obvious, there was no mystery, and I love a bit of mystery in a book. 

The love story that happens halfway through the book is in my opinion in there because there had to be a love story, because a good book is a book with a love story, right? It seemed a bit to forced and did not look natural in the whole atmosphere that the book has. My last comment is that the book was just, let's say dry. You keep waiting on this thing to happen and it keeps dreading and dreading.. 

I already have the second book, so of course I will be reading this to see if there are any changes in the story and of course I’m a bit curious about what's going to happen to Tally, will she be ugly or pretty and how is this going to be for her..

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!